Saturday, March 29, 2008

Rotisserie Chicken! It worked!


We rotisseried our own chicken for dinner tonight on the grill. I'm totally thrilled with the way it turned out. I had a 4.76lb "hormone free" chicken and we stuffed it with lemon and thyme and then also put the rest of the thyme under the skin, and sprinkled it with kosher salt. I can't believe how well it turned out. Really moist and tasty. The kids even ate it up!

We had it on the rotisserie for about 1 hour and 50 mins and then rested it under a foil tent for about 10 mins before carving.

I made some roasted potatoes, carrots and onions to go with it, and I have tons left over for sandwiches and maybe another meal!

UPDATE FROM MY HUSBAND ON THE MECHANICS OF ROTISSERIE:

OK, I helped make this and I want credit! There were a few challenges and resulting ideas associated with cooking a chicken on the rotisserie:

If you can, find a chicken with a pop-up button to let you know when it is done. We used the "juices run clear" method of assessing its doneness, but a pop-up button would have made this truly foolproof.

Remove the grill sections to allow the chicken to turn freely. Use a flat drip pan under the chicken to help speed clean up. Make sure that the skewers are positioned such that the chicken is in front of the rotisserie burner; sounds like common sense, but it is easy to mess this up. In fact, the burner unit is wide enough to cook two five-pound chickens at once.

Make sure the skewers are tightened to the rotisserie spit. You may need to use pliers to tighten the screws to make this happen. If this is not done, the spit turns but the chicken does not, resulting in overcooking on one side and undercooking on the other.

Make sure the spit stays seated in the motorized housing. Because of the way our grill is built, the motor is mounted slightly higher than the side where the spit rests on the grill. This means that every 20 minutes or so, the spit became unseated from the motor assembly and stopped turning. Lucky we caught this! I reseated the spit in the motorized housing to get it moving again while I fabricated a solution. I took a regular washer and bent it in half, forming a semi-circle with an indentation for the spit to rest on while it turned. I then wedged the washer into the spot the spit would have rested on, raising the contact point by about 3/4" (2 cm). This spit-rest raised the angle of the non-motorized end and used the weight of the chicken we were cooking to keep the spit from becoming unseated.

3 comments:

Elle said...

oooh, it's almost grilling season here! Well, after the snow melts, anyway. ;) Looks amazingly good!

Christie said...

Ooooh, yum, yum yum! I love the juices collecting under the chicken... they are begging for a lovely slice of sourdough for dipping. Heaven.

Maya said...

I love my rotisserie.and I love my grill! Thank you for reminding me that grilling season is not far behind..