Thursday, April 3, 2008

Hells Kitchen?

I think I'm going to apply to Hell's Kitchen for next season, as apparently the only qualification you need is to be able to make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for your kids. The first guy kicked out by Ramsey was a stay at home Dad, who had apparently never cooked a scallop before. How hard can it be? I'm sure not as easy as cooking them for the family, because Gordon does have high expectations, and it is a "restaurant", but really, to throw out 30 scallops? I'm sure I would have caught on after I'd had to throw out the first two batches. Anyway, Gordon was in fine form, popping his pooffle valve every thirty seconds over some heinous insult to the world of food, mainly sucky rissotto.

I don't feel sorry for the contestants at all. They know what they are getting into when they sign up for Hell's Kitchen. And they also must know that Gordon Ramsey is totally overacting. I have a small crush on Gordon, especially after watching his Kitchen Nightmares on BBCAmerica. He's really quite caring and not the incessant screamer that he plays on Hells Kitchen. You also have to bear in mind that this show is on FOX, masters of tricky editing, producers interference and cheesy "reality TV". The only reason I tuned in this week was because there is nothing else on at the moment, and I like Gordon.

As far as the food goes on this show it's is secondary to showcasing massive incompetence, so it's not really about food at all, unlike Top Chef, which I consider one of the best reality shows on TV.

I haven't caught up with this weeks episode of Top Chef, but I did watch last weeks, when they had to cook for the block party. Miraculously no one has broken out the truffle oil yet. Maybe Chef Colichhio banned it this season? I thought that whole challenge was a bit underwhelming and I didn't like the Quick Fire - which was to make a fine dining taco. Usually all the food they come up with all sounds great, and I always feel bad for the people that get kicked off. They do put their hearts into it.

When they post the next "At Home Challenge" I'm going to give it a try.

No comments: