Saturday, May 8, 2010

Whole Wheat Cranberry Choc Cookies


For my first baking experiment since I got my new oven I made these yummy and low calorie cookies. I adapted the recipe from Cooking Light, and that recipe used dried cherries, and as I would probably never have dried cherries lying around I threw in dried cranberries and they work just as well. I also used the Ghiradelli Bittersweet Choc Chips. The cookies also use a mixture of whole wheat flour and regualr flour and oats and only 89 calories per cookie!  What's not to love?

1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup dried cranberries
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
5 oz bittersweet chocolate (I used the Ghiradelli Bittersweet choc chips)

Pre-heat oven to 350F

Combine flours and next 3 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl, stir with a whisk.

Melt butter in a samll saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat and whisk in brown sugar, stirring until smooth.  Add sugar mixture to flour mixture.  Beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended.

Add cranberries, vanilla and egg, beat until combined. Fold in Chocolate.

Drop dough by tablespoonful 2 inches apart onto baking sheets (I use parchment paper or silicone mats on my cookie trays).

Bake at 350F for 12 mins.

Cool on pans for 3 mins or until almost firm then cool on wire racks.

Yield 30 cookies.

I worked out the calories on the calorie calculator on Calorie Count, which is an extremely handy tool:
89 calories per cookie, 4.2g fat, 2.5 g sat. fat, 14mg cholesterol, 104mg Sodium, 11.7g Carbs.

4 comments:

Marc Shapiro said...

Unsolicited feedback from a real life cookie-taster -- they were GREAT!

SSI said...

HI Cathie, I came across your blog today, looking for cookies to make for a college "after school" event. I didn't make these cookies...I was looking for choc chip and oatmeal..I found your cookie recipe published on taste spotting quite awhile ago. What also struck me was the hiatus you took...I think I need one too...any way great blog...I'll be coming back!

Cathie said...

Thanks SSI!! I just checkout out your blog!! I also have my mothers recipe box that I have made some great stuff from and put on my blog!! That's a great idea to go through your Grandma's box like that. And.. if you are running out of things to say a hiatus is a really good idea.

My Life As A Mom said...

These look delicious! I was searching on google for low cal cookies since I'm trying to lose weight but looove sweets. I'm definitely going to have to try these!
Loving your blog :)